Wednesday, 26 August 2015

Integrative Psychotherapy at Brum Metro

The day of the interview for a place on the postgraduate training course came around. I had been through this particular mill before, was offered a place, turned up for the first day of the course - despite my misgivings about the course tutors, a couple who I felt were protective of each other during the interview. She being full of 'ah sure feck' it whimsy and he flexing his gestalt psychotherapist self-love muscle. Their grottiness I had forgotten in the intervening twelve months and so I subjected myself to another session with them. The redeeming features of the course are that it's cheap (are you surprised?) and that attendance is required one day per week for 30 weeks and that it is now located conveniently close to the city centre.

So i was asked to account for myself in the intervening twelve months. Had I been in therapy? No, I answered I thought I'd tough it out. This wasn't a good thing to say as it showed that I didn't love myself. I was castigated for leaving the course the previous year, not having enrolled. 'Cos if you had enrolled and then withdrawn you wouldn't have a second chance'. I had ruffled feathers and their judgmentalism was to the fore. Caveat emptor, I thought. I was castigated as being 'co-dependent', Dr Gestalt wondering what I got from it. This was unprofessional shock-jock stuff.  Ms Whimsy talked a bit of her life and the enjoyment she found through her grand-daughter and how sad she thought my life was. She thought I had formidable defense mechanisms in place and it was a job for them to get to see who I was.  No I wouldn't be offered a place on the course this year as to have somebody on the course such as me would be very disruptive for other students. Heaven only knows what baggage they bring, maybe only one piece of cabin baggage is allowed on the course.  It should be noted that no requirements had been made of me in the case of my reapplying for a place on the course. It's just that this couple's peevish professionalism and judgementalism got in the way got in the way of me being offered a place at this particular centre of excellence - isn't that what places like this are referred to? being members of the academic staff, I think I am correct in saying that I could not find one piece of published academic research by this pair., who to me were clearly institutionalised by their shortcomings.  It's awfully common, you know,

Dr Gestalt was clearly rattled when I referred to the bureaucratic and professional requirements of his professional body, 'They are NOT bureaucratic,' he countered. Poor man. Poor students. For anyone with eyes to see there is much to be critical of in The Therapy Industry, as Paul Moloney (2013 Pluto Press) refers to the talking therapy. Much of it is highly questionable and Moloney presents a statistic that in the process of therapy only 12.5% of the effort employed is effective.  Precious practitioners don't like to hear this stuff, yet arguably they are being unprofessional in their work by ignoring critical work in the field.

If you are thinking of training for therapy, have a look at Moloney's book. It is eye opening. Use your eyes before you are blinded by the self-interested nastiness of characters such as Miss Whimsy and Dr Gestalt.

Best wishes

No comments:

Post a Comment